Growing up in a spiritual background, the Bible has always been the sacred book that guides me. When we were young, my parents read us the Bible daily, a ritual that I have incorporated into my daily routine. Through reading the Bible and researching a lot on it, I came to realize that the scripture often gives symbolic significance to concepts or mundane items. One of the things is how numbers are portrayed in the Bible. For example, the number 7 has been used a lot in the Bible, but I have often caught myself wondering what it symbolizes. What is the meaning of the number 7?
In the Bible, the number 7 is used as a symbol for completion, healing, perfection, and fulfilment. For example, during creation, as accounted in the book of Genesis, God created the universe in 6 days and rested on the seventh day, which symbolizes completion. We are also instructed to rest on the seventh day, which is the Sabbath day, symbolizing the perfection of this day.
Join me as I discuss the biblical meaning and significance of the number 7. I will also give a spiritual meaning of the number 7, how the number appears in the Bible, and what it means in numerology. Keep reading to learn more.
What is the biblical meaning of the number 7?
The number 7 has a significant biblical meaning in both the Old and New Testaments. It is considered a symbol of completeness, perfection, fulfilment and rest. It used to represent the power of God as he took six days to create the universe and rested on the 7th day. This number is often viewed as sacred and associated with God’s holy work. It symbolizes spiritual perfection and completion.
Why is number 7 called God’s number?
The number 7 is sometimes referred to as “God’s number” because it is believed to have special significance and be associated with the holy work of God. In the Bible, the number 7 repeatedly appears as a symbol of completion, perfection, and divine order. For example, God created the world in six days and rested on the seventh day, the Sabbath day. Therefore, when we observe the Sabbath day, we fulfil a divine command.
The Israelites were also commanded to observe seven feasts and festivals throughout the year, and the walls of Jericho fell after the Israelites marched around them seven times. In the book of Revelation, seven churches, seven seals, seven trumpets, and seven bowls symbolize completion and God’s ultimate plan of redemption.
Moreover, the number 7 has a special place in many other cultures and traditions as well, often representing wholeness and completion. For instance, in ancient Babylonian mythology, there were seven planetary deities, and in Hinduism, there are seven chakras or energy centres in the body.
What is the significance and importance of the number 7 in the Bible?
Perfection and Completion
As mentioned above, the most common significance of the number 7 in the Bible is perfection or completion. This clearly appears during creation, where God created the heavens and earth in six days and rested on the seventh day. The importance of completion, according to the Bible, is that Christians are also required to rest after six days of working.
Furthermore, as stated, this number also symbolizes perfection. Before Christ’s crucifixion in the gospel books, he said seven statements, the last in which he committed his spirit to the Lord (Luke 23:46). Furthermore, in the book of Mathew 6:9-13 when Jesus was asked how to pray, He told the seven people the perfect Lord’s Prayer which contains seven petitions. This signifies perfection.
Healing and exoneration
Other than perfection and completion, the Bible also links the number 7 to healing and exoneration. The Bible tells us in Deuteronomy 15:1-2 that the Israelites had to free their slaves and cancel any debts on each seventh year. “At the end of every seven years, you must cancel debts. 2 This is how it is to be done: Every creditor shall cancel any loan they have made to a fellow Israelite. They shall not require payment from anyone among their own people because the Lord’s time for cancelling debts has been proclaimed.”
Furthermore, the Bible shows the significance of the number 7 with exoneration in the book of Mathew 18:21-22 when Peter asked Christ how many times we are supposed to forgive others, and Jesus answered “seventy times seven” times. This does not directly translate to us forgiving others 490 times, but it means we need to forgive others fully and wholly.
Additionally, the Bible links the number 7 to healing in the book of 2nd Kings 5:9-10 when Elisha directs Naaman the leper to go bather in River Jordan 7 times to receive healing. This can also be further seen in the healing miracles Jesus performed on the seventh day, which is the Sabbath.
Fulfilment of oaths and promises
The number 7 in the Bible is also associated with the fulfilment of oaths and promises. In fact, Sheba (The Hebrew word for seven) and shaba (swearing an oath) are both derived from the phrase saba, which means fullness and satisfaction in Hebrew.
Another instance where 7 signifies fulfilment of promises in the Bible is in the book of Genesis 9:8-15, where God makes a promise to humanity that he never destroys the earth with floods again. The symbol of this covenant was a rainbow, which typically has seven colours.
Furthermore, in the book of Joshua 6:1-20, God promises Joshua and his people that he will bring down the walls of Jericho if they march around it once for six simultaneous days, and finally seven days on the last day, which is the seventh day. On the seventh day, they were meant to blow seven trumpets and march alongside seven priests. Joshua heard the Lord and obeyed him, and Lord brought down the walls of Jericho.
What is the significant meaning of the number 7 in the Bible?
The significance of the number 7 in the Bible (Perfection, completion, exoneration, healing, and fulfilment) means that God ascribes a holy nature to this number. However, though the number 7 comes out as a Holy number, it is essential to note that not every time this number is used in the Bible, it depicts holiness. Therefore, when analyzing the meaning of the significance of this number according to the Bible, we have to seek God to guide us to get the correct interpretation. Let us seek to listen to him because He says in the book of Isaiah 55:9 that his ways and thoughts are higher than ours.
How does the number 7 appear in the Bible?
The number seven appears in the Bible in different unique ways. In the Old Testament, there are at least seven men who hold the title “a man of God.” They include Elijah (1st Kings 17:18), Moses (Joshua 14:6), Shemaiah (1st Kings 12:22), David (2nd Chronicles 8:14), Elisha (2nd Kings 5:8), Samuel (1st Samuel 9:6, 14), and Igdaliah (Jeremiah 35:4).
Furthermore, the New Testament ascribes 7 Psalms to David. On the other hand, in the creation story (in Genesis, God created the world in six days and rested on the seventh day, which became the Sabbath day (Genesis 2:2-3).
In Leviticus 23, the Israelites were also commanded to observe seven feasts and festivals throughout the year. In the book of Joshua 6:15-16, the walls of Jericho fell after the Israelites marched around them seven times. Additionally, Naaman was instructed to dip in the Jordan River seven times to be healed of leprosy (2 Kings 5:10).
In the New Testament, the number 7 is also used as a symbol of completion and perfection. For example, Jesus taught his followers to forgive not seven times, but seventy-seven times (Matthew 18:22). In the book of Revelation, the seven churches, seven seals, seven trumpets, and seven bowls are used to symbolize completeness and God’s ultimate plan of redemption. He also gives seven parables according to the book of Mathew.
What should Christians remember about the number 7?
As mentioned above, the number 7 has special significance in Christianity because it is associated with completion, perfection, and rest. This number is portrayed as a holy number in the Bible and therefore holds a lot of significance. Some of the reasons why Christians should remember the number 7 include the following:
- Creation: According to the book of Genesis in the Bible, God created the world in 7 days. This is often referred to as the “7 days of creation.” On the seventh day, God rested, which is why the Sabbath day is considered a day of rest. This applies to our lives, and we should be keen to take a rest on the seventh day, just like our creator, God, did.
- Sabbath: The Jewish and Christian traditions observe the seventh day of the week as a day of rest in commemoration of God’s rest on the seventh day of creation. This is why the Sabbath is traditionally observed on Saturday.
- Seven Deadly Sins: In Christian theology, there are seven deadly sins that are considered to be the root of all other sins. These sins are pride, envy, anger, sloth, greed, gluttony, and lust.
- Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit: The Holy Spirit is believed to bestow seven gifts upon believers: wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude, knowledge, piety, and fear of the Lord.
- Seven Sacraments: In the Catholic Church, there are seven sacraments that are considered to be essential rites: baptism, confirmation, Eucharist, penance, anointing of the sick, holy orders, and marriage.
When interacting with the number 7, Christians should remember that they will experience divine fulfilment. However, it is key to note that not all sevens mentioned in the Bible stand for divine fulfilment and holiness. Christians should therefore exercise caution with some biblical symbols. You can always refer to the original context of the scripture to fully understand the different biblical symbols.
What is the spiritual meaning of the number 7?
The spiritual meaning of the number 7 is a bit different from its biblical or even numerological meaning. It means that though 7s are aligned with their spirituality and in tune with the spiritual realm, they will encounter several challenges as they seek spiritual alignment. This number is an indicator and encouragement for you to search deeper with the knowledge you have and manifest the spiritual connection that you desire. It pushed you to seek more and understand the divine realm so that you can know and accept who you truly are.
This number has spiritual, intellectual, and creative energy. It is considered a highly spiritual and mystical number that has significance in many different spiritual traditions and practices.
Here are some of the main spiritual meanings and interpretations of the number 7:
- Connection to the divine: The number 7 is linked to the idea of connecting with the divine and the spiritual realm. It can indicate a deepening of one’s spiritual connection and an opening to higher levels of consciousness.
- Introspection and self-reflection: The number 7 is also associated with introspection and self-reflection, as it encourages individuals to look within themselves for answers and to explore their inner selves. This can lead to greater self-awareness, inner wisdom, and spiritual growth.
- Inner guidance and intuition: The number 7 is often seen as a symbol of inner guidance and intuition. It encourages individuals to trust their inner wisdom and to listen to their intuition in order to make decisions and navigate their spiritual path.
- Transformation and change: The number 7 can also represent transformation and change, as it is associated with the idea of spiritual growth and evolution. It can indicate a time of transition and transformation on the spiritual path. The spiritual meaning of this number emphasizes the importance of spiritual growth, enlightenment, and the pursuit of higher knowledge and wisdom, as well as the role of inner guidance and intuition in navigating the spiritual journey. You will definitely face challenges in this journey, but you should always push forward.
What does the number 7 mean in numerology?
In numerology, the number 7 is associated with spiritual growth, intuition, logic, introspection, wisdom, and analysis. People with this number in their lives are considered in tune with their spiritual side, and they will go to any length to debunk the hidden meaning behind the universe and world around them. These people search for a deeper meaning, more than most of the world is experiencing. They are after a deeper understanding of how the world around them works.
Some of the main characteristics and meanings of the number 7 in numerology:
- Introspection and inner wisdom: The number 7 is linked to meditation, self-reflection, and the search for inner knowledge and understanding. It encourages individuals to listen to their intuition and trust their inner guidance. As stated, those with number 7s in their lives desire a deeper understanding of themselves and how the world functions, and they will stop at nothing till they get the answers they are seeking.
- Spiritual growth and enlightenment: The number 7 is often associated with spiritual growth, enlightenment, and the pursuit of higher knowledge and wisdom. It can indicate that you are on a path of spiritual awakening and that you are being called to explore deeper spiritual truths. Those with number 7s often find themselves deeply in touch with their spirituality and psychic energy. They approach life spiritually and are intelligent. Such people will do everything in their power to get the answers to the most abstract questions in the universe.
- Analysis and research: The number 7 is also linked to analysis, research, and investigation. This number is linked to logic. It encourages individuals to seek out information and knowledge, question everything, and approach problems and challenges with a critical mind.
- Solitude and introspection: The number 7 is sometimes linked to solitude and introspection. It encourages individuals to take time for themselves, to reflect on their lives and their purpose, and to connect with their inner selves. The number 7 is considered a powerful and spiritual number in numerology that can offer guidance and insight on the path to spiritual growth and enlightenment.
Why do you keep seeing the angel number 7?
The angel number 7 is believed to be a message from the spiritual realm and is often interpreted as a sign of spiritual awakening, growth, intuition, and alignment with divine purpose. This angel often appears to us when we are experiencing phases of instability to signal that they are about to come to an end. During this period, you will feel uncertain and scared to step into the next phase of your life, but you have to trust your intuition and gut and move forward.
When you keep seeing the angel number 7 repeatedly in various contexts, it may be a signal that the angels are trying to get your attention and communicate something important to you. Some possible meanings of the angel number 7 include:
- Spiritual awakening and growth: The number 7 is often associated with spiritual awakening and growth, indicating that you may be on the right path toward greater awareness, enlightenment, and connection with the divine. It means that it is time to let go of the things that are holding you back and step on to what is greater for you.
- Inner wisdom and intuition: The number 7 is also linked to inner wisdom, intuition, and the ability to discern truth and guidance from within. Seeing angel number 7 may be a reminder to trust your intuition and follow your inner guidance. This angel boosts your confidence to allow you to trust yourself and focus on what is good for you.
- Divine protection and guidance: Angel number 7 is sometimes seen as a sign of divine protection and guidance, suggesting that you are being supported and guided by spiritual forces. Trust that you are on the right path and that the angels are watching over you.
Is the number 7 a karmic number?
Yes, the number 7 is often considered a karmic number in numerology. This is because it is associated with spiritual awakening, enlightenment, and the pursuit of knowledge and wisdom, which are all key elements of the karmic journey.
According to numerology, the number 7 is a highly spiritual and introspective number that encourages individuals to look within themselves for answers and to connect with their higher selves. It is also associated with intuition, introspection, and inner wisdom, all of which are essential for spiritual growth and development. The number 7 is believed to be a powerful karmic number that can help individuals on their spiritual journey by providing them with guidance, insight, and inspiration. If you keep seeing the number 7 in your life, it may be a sign that you are being called to pursue a deeper understanding of yourself and the world around you.
They say that the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, right? Being raised by Christians significantly impacted my life since I started professing Christ from a young age. My passion for the Christian faith made me pursue a degree in Religious studies and a Masters in Theology. I am a believer and pastor dedicated to spreading the word of God. I have been in the Christian ministry for over a decade and am currently ministering in Life Christian Church. I have also been privileged to teach 4 Christian courses in a college and university. Please check the About Us Page for more details.