Last Sunday, I engaged my congregants on a very interesting topic. We discussed the devil’s works on Earth and Jesus’ power over them. The sermon was backed by scriptures that strengthened our faith in God and gave us spiritual guidance. We got to understand why the Bible encourages us to seek Jesus and not to fall into the temptation of the devil. So what are the works of the devil that Jesus came to destroy?
The book of 1 John 3:8 suggests that the Son of God came into the world to destroy the sinful works of the devil. Then John 8:44 goes further to explain that these works of the devil involve murder and lying. Later on, in the book of John 10:10, the Word mentions that the thief, who, in other biblical versions imply, is the devil, comes only to do three things. These are to kill, steal, and destroy. According to these verses, the devil’s works on earth are sinister, which is why Jesus came to destroy them.
In this article, I encourage you to join me as we talk about the works of the devil and how Jesus destroys them. We will also answer questions that many Christians ask, such as when the works of the devil began according to the Bible, how Jesus destroyed these works, and what verses can quote these acts. So read on to find out the answers to these questions.
What does the Bible say about the works of the devil?
The Bible mentions that the devil came to this earth to bring havoc. In John 8:44, while Jesus was condemning hypocritical religious leaders, He mentioned to them that they cannot understand Him or believe in anything that He says since they are from different sides. Jesus further implied that He came from God, and hence anyone from God would understand Him. Yet the leaders did not understand what He said since, according to Jesus, they were children of the devil and were carrying out the devil’s desires. He implied that the devil only lied and committed murder.
Elsewhere in 2 Corinthians 11:14, the Bible states that Satan disguises himself to others. This is what he did according to Genesis 3:7, where he disguised himself as a serpent and convinced Eve to go against his master.
Furthermore, John 10:10 says, ‘The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.’ This means that the intentions of the devil are not pure, and he comes to deceive others.
Additionally, various books in the Bible show how the devil tempts Christians with evil. Job 2 shows how the devil went to a servant of God and tried to incite him against the Lord. He also tempted Jesus, according to Matthew 4:1-11. So the Bible also mentions that the devil’s works involve tempting people with evil (1 Thessalonians 3:5).
When did the works of the devil begin in the Bible?
The Bible implies that the works of the devil started in the beginning, in Genesis 3. God placed Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden and commanded them to eat from every tree except the one of knowledge of good and evil. However, a crafty Satan who came as a serpent approached Eve and told her that God had lied to them and that they would die if they ate from the tree.
Eve convinced Adam, and they consumed fruit from the forbidden tree. This scripture insinuates that this is the first time the works of the devil began. He disguised himself, lied, and tempted Adam and Eve to sin. Afterward, the Bible says that Adam and Eve were chased out of Eden since they went against God.
How did Jesus destroy the works of the devil?
The works of the devil are, according to 1 John 3:8, sin. The Bible says that ‘anyone who sins is of the devil.’ This is the reason Jesus appeared, to take away sin (1 John 3:5). Severally, the Word insists that Jesus came to save the sinners and give them new eternal life.
All this leads us to the question of how did Jesus destroy the works of Satan?
Jesus came and provided a new life to his people. This is why the Word says that the righteous are children of God (1 John 3:10) and they do not sin (1 John 3:9). So, through Him, people are born anew and find eternal life. Remember why God gave His only son in John 3:16? So that everyone who believes in His Word will gain eternal life.
This is how Jesus destroyed the works of Satan. He came back and allowed people to follow Him. This way, they would let go of Satan’s sinful ways and focus on serving God.
Bible verses about the destruction of the works of the devil
The following verses talk about Jesus’ destruction of the works of the devil.
- 1 John 3:8: The work of Jesus is clearly defined in the Bible, to destroy that which the devil does, which is to do away with sin.
- Hebrews 2:14: Jesus died and took away the power of death in us. Now, if anyone trusts in Him, they get eternal life.
- 1 John 3:5: But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. According to this verse, Jesus did away with sin, so those that believe in Him have nothing to worry about.
- Revelation 12:9: The scripture talks about how a fight broke in heaven, and God’s angels won against the dragon-the devil- and his angels. The devil was then thrown down to the earth, as he was defeated.
- Revelation 2:10: Jesus asks believers to stay faithful even when tested so that He will reward them.
- Romans 16:20: The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. Paul asks the church to trust in God, for He will defeat the devil.
- James 4:7: Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. The Bible suggests that when you give your life to God, He will protect you from the devil.
- 1 John 1:9: The Bible urges people to refrain from sin, and God will make them righteous.
- John 10:10: This verse means the work of the devil is to destroy, but God comes to make it right.
They say that the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, right? Being raised by Christians significantly impacted my life since I started professing Christ from a young age. My passion for the Christian faith made me pursue a degree in Religious studies and a Masters in Theology. I am a believer and pastor dedicated to spreading the word of God. I have been in the Christian ministry for over a decade and am currently ministering in Life Christian Church. I have also been privileged to teach 4 Christian courses in a college and university. Please check the About Us Page for more details.