Christ’s resurrection is among the most commonly taught events in Christianity. This is because the scripture is explicit that any new convert must believe that Christ rose from the dead and they will be saved. So, why is Jesus’ resurrection this important? How is the resurrection of Jesus important to Christianity?
The resurrection of Jesus Christ is significant because without that, then there is no Christianity. Paul is clear in one of his letters that without Jesus’ resurrection, then our faith is futile. There will be no Christianity because there will be no good news to be preached. Through the resurrection of Jesus, we have hope that there is more to this life, and we will also overcome death just like our savior and join him in heaven.
Is the resurrection of Jesus Christ true? Why do Christians believe in the resurrection of Jesus? What are some reasons why the resurrection of Jesus is important to Christians? What does it mean that Jesus Christ conquered death? Continue reading to get the answers to these questions and a deeper insight into why the resurrection is crucial to Christianity.
Is the resurrection of Jesus Christ true?
Jesus’ resurrection is true and is the central truth of Christianity and our faith. Without his resurrection, then there would be no Christianity, and there would be no good news to preach. The resurrection of Jesus Christ is a focal point in our faith in life after death. Only through his resurrection can we believe that we will also conquer death and enjoy eternal life as promised in the scripture. Paul says in the scripture that if we believe that there is no resurrection, our faith is futile.
However, it is true that on the third day, Christ conquered death, never to die again. Mary Magdalene and the other disciples who visited his tomb on Monday morning witnessed his resurrection, as they found his tomb empty (Luke 24:1-53). Christ also appeared to his people, which indeed confirms that he was resurrected from the dead.
Why do Christians believe in the resurrection of Jesus?
As mentioned earlier, Christians do not only believe in the resurrection of Jesus Christ because it happened but also because it is the epitome of our faith in God. Only through believing in his death and resurrection are we granted salvation.
Romans 10:9-10 says, “If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and with your mouth, you profess your faith and are saved.”
Therefore, Christians believe in the resurrection of Jesus because there is no Christianity without resurrection. The resurrection of Christ is the central teaching of the New Testament. It is how we find our hope in God and have faith that there is more to this life than just the grave.
Five reasons why the resurrection of Jesus is important to Christians?
- The resurrection of Jesus is crucial as it witnesses the immense power of God. To have faith that Christ conquered death is to have faith in God himself. Therefore, by Jesus resurrecting and never dying again, God reminds us of his absolute authority over life and death.
- Jesus’ resurrection is also vital to believers as it means that we are justified before the father. The book of Romans 4:25 says, “He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification.” Our faith in him and in life after death is cemented through his resurrection.
- Another reason why the resurrection is essential in Christianity is that it claims Jesus’ validations of who he said he was, the Messiah. The scripture is clear that Jesus being raised from the dead is enough evidence that he is indeed the son of God who was sent to save the world.
- Furthermore, through Jesus’ resurrection, we are united with him. 2nd Corinthians 4:14 says, “Knowing that he who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus and bring us with you into his presence.” This means that just as Christ died, we will also die with him and live with him. However, this will only happen to those who believe in him while still alive.
- Last and most importantly, the resurrection of Jesus is extremely important as it is the center of a believer’s faith in God and in the good news. If Christ could not have defeated death, no one could place their faith in him, as no one would have hope to live after our earthly life. His resurrection is the foundation of our Christian faith.
What does it mean that Jesus conquered death?
It is obvious that the statement that Christ conquered death means his resurrection. It means that though he was dead, he is alive now, as death could not hold his mightiness. Christ conquering death is more than just rising from the dead. It is rising from the dead and never dying again. Every other person who was resurrected from the dead in the bible died a second time, except Jesus. Acts 2:24 says, “God raised him up, loosing the pangs of death because it was not possible for him to be head by it.”
So, you might wonder why Christ never died after conquering death. He conquered death because there was nothing on his head that he was supposed to pay for; he was sinless. We die because of the sin that the first couple committed. However, by Jesus conquering death, we enjoy the eternal consequences of being raised from the dead in the end and going to heaven to be with him. His overcoming death means that we have also been granted victory over death.
As a devout Christian, I have always been passionate about the Christian faith. This inspired me to pursue a degree in Religious studies and a Masters in Theology in college. I have also been privileged to teach 4 Christian courses in a college and university. Since I am dedicated to spreading the word of God, I am actively involved in the Church. Additionally, I share his word online and cover diverse topics on the Christian faith through my platform. You can read more about me on the about us page.